Thursday, May 9, 2013

St. Augustine by-the-sea Haiku





 
St. Augustine prays
 
O'er the land and mighty sea
 
Honest souls rejoice
  
*********************************************
 
 
Front stained-glass window of St Augustine

St. Augustine by-the-sea, proudly facing the ocean, stands tall in its location one block mauka (toward the mountain; north) of the beaches at Waikiki. Decades ago, weary sailors on ships navigating the Pacific Ocean easily spotted the prow-shaped facade of the church and, upon docking, eagerly attended services.

New construction over the years encroached on property fronting Kalakaua Avenue, blocking visibility of the stunning stained-glass window that greeted those weary sailors. Plans are now in motion to provide an unobstructed view of St. Augustine by-the-sea. In time, sailors, locals, and tourists will, once again, enjoy the sight of St. Augustine’s from the vantage point of the Pacific Ocean. 


Unfortunately, I was unable to capture the breathtaking blood red of the hibiscus flowers or the gleaming yellow of the candle’s glow.

I offer two suggestions from which you may wish to choose:
 
1. Close your eyes to imagine the sight.

2. Visit Waikiki and experience the vision in person.

Your call.      

4 comments:

  1. Very nice blog, congratulations! I'd like to exchange links with you. I have already added to my blogroll.

    The link of my blog is photographymc.blogspot.com

    Photography Blog: news, photographic techniques, digital cameras, photoshop tutorial, photography course, image editing, photomontage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Marco. I am on my way over to your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since my best friend now manages a resort in Hawaii, I hope I do get to see it in person soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will love it!! Is your friend interested in reading and/or writing mystery and maybe wants to join us at Sisters in Crime/Hawaii?

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.