Friday, April 7, 2017

G is for GREEK DOLMADES (STUFFED GRAPE LEAVES) #AtoZChallenge

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
My daily #AtoZ posts combine two concepts in under-300-words per day:
an appealing food choice along with thoughts that spring to mind.
*** *** ***  
As you've probably already guessed, I'm not much of a cook these days. Cracking open a container of yogurt or peeling back the lid of a can counts as preparing a meal for me. So when I'm in the mood for something complicated, like stuffed grape leaves, I gravitate to the grocery story salad bar. It's really not the dolmades that I crave, but the lemon sauce that contributes such flavor to the meatless variety. While egg lemon sauce (Avgolemono) goes best with the meat-stuffed rolls, a squeeze of lemon juice and a dollop of creamy yogurt works wonders to liven up the others.
Though I've never been to Greece, it has been a daydream of mine to jet off to the islands of Mykonos, Rhodes, and beautiful Santorini with its original whitewashed buildings of lava rock dotting the hillsides. Or, at least, to write a story set on a red sand beach. The volcanic activity that shaped the island, however, shares similar birth pains with the island where I reside. Possessing no great urge to travel such a distance, it pleases me to have that thread of commonality between Santorini and O'ahu.
That, and a shared love of dolmades.
***   ***   ***
 

8 comments:

  1. Stuffed Grape Leaves are among my favourite food. I've been in Greece twice (and I hope I'm going again soon). Greek food, in general, is just glorious!

    -----
    Eva - Mail Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky to have visited Greece, Eva. It had been on my wish list for years, but now I am satisfied to relish its foods and look at beautiful landscape photographs.

      Delete
  2. I haven't had these in years. I may have to change that. Like stuffed cabbage leaves--I used to make those a lot; now, never.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love (and miss!) Greek food so much. I definitely recommend a visit to Santorini. It's a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Santorini in photographs makes me long to stroll its beaches and promenades. Doing so in my mind works for me, now.

      Delete
    2. If you ever decide to go, let me know. I have tons of suggestions and little out-of-the-way places I discovered.

      Delete
  4. To visit Greece was a lifelong dream for me; one that was fulfilled in 2013. We did a complete Classical Land Tour as well as an islands cruise, including a two day stay in Santorini. You would love it! (I'm doing a series about that. Click HERE if you're interested. But then, Hawaii is another paradise, also on the bucket list. How wonderful that you live there! Greek seafood is my preference, (with Tzatziki on the side) but the grape leaves are good, too. Bon appetit! ☺

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.