Friday, April 21, 2017

S is for SWORDFISH AND SHRIMP #AtoZ

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
My daily #AtoZ posts combine two concepts in under-300-words per day:
an appealing food choice along with thoughts that spring to mind.
*** *** ***  
 
Relaxing and enjoying a
view of Diamond Head before sunset
Dinner at House Without A Key in the Halekulani Hotel in Waikiki is a treat for several reasons. The atmosphere is quiet and amazingly peaceful. The service is rated above-par because the wait staff is unconditionally Aloha Friendly. And Hawaiian music and hula dancing is offered for relaxing entertainment on the lanai, with the Pacific Ocean and Diamond Head as a backdrop. Few thoughts, other than general goodwill, stick at a time like this.

Lovely Hula Hands
Elegant Hula Dancer accompanied by talented Hawaiian Musicians

Special Mai Tai cocktails relaxed us even further before the salads arrived. Several of us in our group chose the meal of Swordfish and Shrimp. Normally, I would be sure to take home half of the meal from such a nice establishment. But this fish was so tender and flavorful, I couldn't stop eating and the plate was suddenly clean! No left-overs for me.
 
Celebrating the evening with us were Left Coast Crime Lifetime Achievement Honorees and Authors Faye and Jonathan Kellerman. Those folks who worked hardest to make the entire conference possible were: Gay Coburn Gale, Honolulu Havoc Chair; Treasurer Stan Ulrich and Publisher Liaison Lucinda Surber (who were also Awards Co-Chairs) and Panel Co-Chairs and Authors Rosemary and Larry Mild.


Pleasant conversation over Swordfish and Shrimp,
and a backdrop of hula dancers and Pacific Ocean,
with Diamond Head off to the left.
As I mentioned above, few thoughts other than goodwill stick at such a time. But I wouldn't want you to take my word for it. Come on down to Hawai'i and check out the food and music for yourselves!




5 comments:

  1. A seafood feast in Hawaii. I'd like nothing better, except of course, a good bottle of dry, white wine. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, Debbie, one must have the wine to lubricate the digestive system. I like how you think. In this instance, we "settled" for mai tais.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm that odd person that doesn't care for shrimp. It's not that I don't like it, it's just not to my liking (if that makes sense). I've tried it many different ways and no longer bother ordering it.

    But swordfish - oh my! When cooked properly - YUMMY! I grew up in New England and swordfish was a regular Sunday dinner treat.

    DB McNicol | Oh, the places we will go! | Tennessee & Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our tastes are a bit opposite, Donna. Shrimp is my go-to order in a restaurant because I never make it at home, and like shrimp. Peel-and-eat shrimp with a great seafood sauce for dip has always been my favorite.

      Delete
  4. Ah, it does sound lovely. Maybe one day I'll be able to visit such places you're highlighting ;-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - 1940s Film Noir

    ReplyDelete

Aloha and thank you for visiting today! Feel free to tweet or share any posts of interest.